Quota Management and Thin Provisioning
Simple, Scalable and Flexible Quota Management and Provisioning.
File-based data continues to grow at an astronomical rate—nearly doubling each year—making the need for optimized data storage solutions more important than ever.
To help enterprises maximize the long-term value of their critical business data and drive down storage management cost and complexity, Isilon offers SmartQuotas: a simple, scalable and flexible quota management and provisioning software application that integrates with Isilon’s OneFS® operating system.
Quotas and Thin Provisioning
SmartQuotas allows administrators to control and limit storage usage across their organization and provision a single pool of Isilon clustered storage to best meet their unique storage challenges. Using SmartQuotas, storage administrators assign quotas that seamlessly partition a highly scalable, single, shared pool of storage into easily managed segments, with industry-leading flexibility for quotas at the cluster, directory, sub-directory, user and group level. SmartQuotas spans across the entire cluster, regardless of the number of nodes, enabling IT managers to easily administer storage from a single point of view while supporting growing storage demands.
SmartQuotas’ thin provisioning capability allows administrators to present more storage capacity to applications and users than is physically installed. Administrators can limit their actual physical storage resources to what is only needed today, and automatically add storage resources on-demand to meet changing business requirements tomorrow.
Storage capacity can be automatically increased with minimal administrative overhead, so enterprises can purchase less storage capacity up front, defer capacity upgrades to match actual business usage and save on power and cooling costs associated with keeping unused disk capacity spinning.
When actual capacity begins to approach its threshold, SmartQuotas’ simple, configurable notifications inform administrators that more storage is required—Isilon IQ storage or EX nodes can then be joined to the cluster in less than 60 seconds. The result is unprecedented pay-as-you-grow flexibility and value for enterprises struggling to cost-effectively keep pace with rapid storage growth.
What makes SmartQuotas such a powerful tool?
Traditional systems with volume quotas are limited to a single storage device— and to a single volume. Volume-level solutions are limited in management flexibility once they are initially set up. For example, typical implementations require the management of quotas across different volumes, multiple storage systems and multiple file systems. This approach creates challenges when making changes to resources, tracking specific users and groups, moving directory structures or moving data between file systems and volumes. As more storage silos are added, the complexity only increases.
With SmartQuotas, these management challenges are eliminated. Because SmartQuotas is fully cluster-aware and spans across all nodes, regardless of the cluster size, IT managers can administer quotas from a single point of view, provision storage exactly how they want, and change quota policy options on demand.
Administrators can define named quotas for specific individual users or groups, or create default quotas that control disk usage for anyone accessing the cluster.
- Simplicity - SmartQuotas spans across all nodes, regardless of the number of storage devices, enabling an IT manager to easily administer storage from a single point of view.
- Scalability - SmartQuotas makes it as easy to manage quotas for thousands of users as it is to manage a few hundred— enabling massive scalability of users and groups for even the largest storage environments.
- Effective Storage Management - Administrators can configure their system so that specific users and groups are only allowed to see the storage they have been provisioned for.
- Robust Notification and Scheduled Reporting - SmartQuotas’ flexible reporting and notification options provide end-users, managers and administrators the information they need to manage resource usage.
- SmartQuotas enables unique quota and provisioning policies to be set at the cluster, directory, sub-directory, user and group level, delivering unprecedented flexibility and ease of management.
- Provides quota management and thin provisioning in a single application.