The Knowledge Net: Tips and Techniques for AV-over-IP (recorded webinar)
The Matrox Knowledge Net
Tips and Techniques for AV-over-IP
Matrox invites you to join us in "The Knowledge Net: Tips and Techniques for AV-over-IP." This free five-part training series explores the industry's leading topics, including best practices, competing technologies, and key differentiators.
Fundamentals of AV/IP
- Use units and multipliers correctly in an AV/IP context
- Associate resolution and colour depth with bit-rate
- Explain basic network terminology associated with streaming
- Understand the reason for use of the OSI Model
- Compare IPTV with AV streaming in general
- Understanding Scaling of the Distributed Image
- Understand the interplay of lines, pixels and resolution
- Indicate where Scaling can occur – including unexpected scaling
- Describe the difference between Vector and Raster Graphics
- Identify other processes that are commonly mistaken for scaling
- Appreciate the effect of using the wrong scaling algorithm
- Understand the potential drawbacks of the built-in scalers in displays
- Exploring and Understanding Image Properties and Sampling
- Understand the interplay of lines, pixels and resolution with viewing distance
- Recognise the features of a CIE Chromaticity Diagram
- Explain the difference between Colour Depth and Colour Space
- Describe the role of Sampling, the effect of chroma sub-sampling regimes on different content types and its importance in streaming
- Understanding Compression in AV/IP
- Explain the difference between lossy and lossless compression
- Distinguish between spatial and temporal compression
- Understand the effect of transform, thresholding and quantisation
- Describe GoP and the relation between I, B and P frames
- Use correct terminology to describe common compression errors and artefacts
- Appreciate the use of entropy coding
- Position audio compression appropriately in a video context
- Exploring Streaming Protocols
- Interpret the acronyms used for streaming protocols
- Understand streaming protocols in the context of the OSI 7-layer model, including encapsulation
- Identify different protocols used for payload and control of an AV stream
- Contrast the respective benefits of TCP and UDP in a streaming context
- Explain the difference between 'push' and 'pull' protocols and the significance of it
Sales Account Manager
Domain experience: 37+ years
Rob has been with Matrox UK for over 15 years, involved with the company's Graphics related products.
He has worked in high-tech for well over three decades, establishing himself as a veritable veteran of the moving image.
He has spent time in engineering, sales and marketing - in positions spanning the content-creation, distribution, and transmission industries and whilst with Matrox has been focussed on AV.
Previously he was an active member of the International Association of Broadcast Manufacturers (IABM), serving on its technical sub-committee as well as presenting technical sessions for the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE) in London and for Infocomm University in Dubai.
His technical education includes two UK university degrees – a BSc in Information and Communication Technologies and a BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Rob was recognised by Infocomm in 2016 as a "distinguished talent" in respect of training he delivered.